A Brief History of Mayodan UMC
The congregation of Mayodan United Methodist Church, a branch of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was found in 1901 with Rev. Amos Gregson assigned to the Stone (Stoneville) and Mayodan Circuit for 1901-1902 as its first pastor. The first church facility was erected in 1902 following the appointment of a committee of Trustees who selected the building site on the corner of Main Street and South 5th Avenue. The land was purchased from the Piedmont Land Manufacturing Company for the sum of $1.00. There were 36 members on the first membership role.
Later records show that in 1913 a tornado, or as some called it a cyclone, passed through Mayodan and blew the church from its foundation. The building was repaired and continued for serve the congregation for many more years to come.
The church prospered and grew into the 1940’s, upgrading from a two church charge to a single station in 1949. In 1943 a parsonage was purchased on West Main Street and was used until the current parsonage on Wilkins Street was purchased in 1978.
In early 1951, a building fund was initiated with the goal of replacing the first structure with a larger, more modern one. The congregation had outgrown the original facility and had incorporated a log structure build adjacent to the church in 1934 known as “the hut” as extra classroom space. With the building program a successful endeavor, the new church building was dedicated on May 18, 1958. Shortly thereafter, the decision was made to purchase more land adjoining the church and use the two story house that was on the property as additional classroom space. This house was eventually moved from that site and is still in use today.
In 1966, a beautiful memorial stained glass window depicting the image of Christ was added to the sanctuary as a focal point of worship. In 1968, the name of the church was changed to Mayodan United Methodist Church as the Methodist denomination worldwide merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
The addition of a new fellowship hall, kitchen and restrooms was achieved in 1988. The efforts put forth by the congregation to achieve this goal resulted in paying off the debt of the new church addition as well as the parsonage.
On Friday afternoon, March 20, 1998, the history of Mayodan United Methodist Church was forever changed. At approximately 3:20, as a powerful tornado passed through the town of Mayodan, the church building took a direct hit by the swirling funnel cloud. Unlike the result of the storm of 1913, the sanctuary and fellowship hall fell to the ground and were completely destroyed. Immediately afterward, church members and friends old and new came from near and far to assist in salvage efforts and cleanup. Words of support and financial contributions began arriving from all around the country and the world as the news spread of our tragedy. On the Sunday following the destruction, a worship service of hope was held in the open air on the site of the fellowship hall that had been constructed just ten years earlier. Within one week the site had been cleared, making way for construction of the third church facility on the original site. During the rebuilding process, worship and other activities was held at a nearby automobile dealership in their annex building, as well as in private homes. Ground was broken for the third church building on the original site on August 2, 1998. On July 18, 1999, the first service was held in the new facility.
Mayodan United Methodist is a congregation of caring and loving children of God walking through life’s faith journey together. There is a place for everyone…a place of acceptance and relevance. Weekly service and activities are offered for all ages from infant care to senior adults. Ministry emphasis is Bible based with focus on local and worldwide missions in an effort to ease suffering and hurting. Programs and worship are presented for the Glory of God, in the name of Jesus Christ, and through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Mayodan United Methodist Church would be blessed to have you participate in our services and community outreach programs. For more information, call the church office at 336-548-9508 or simply drop by for Sunday School and morning worship at 501 West Main Street in Mayodan, or inquire about any small group sessions taking place. You will find welcoming smiles and the presence of God waiting for you.